The capital has an extraordinarily rich and diverse range of museums, galleries and other heritage attractions.
- London has over 200 museums and galleries, including 11 National museums and 10 National Trust and 10 English Heritage sites.
- Over 20% of the country's Designated collections are in London. Designation identifies and celebrates pre-eminent collections of national and international importance in non-national Registered museums.
- There are about 30 million museum visits made annually in London.
- London has three world heritage sites - the Tower of London, Westminster, and Greenwich Maritime.
- Inner London has a concentration of specialist collections, historic houses, personality museums and company museums.
- The outer London boroughs typically tend to have one main museum service with a local history focus and some small independent museums.
- London is the largest city in Western Europe and is also one of the world's most culturally diverse cities.
- Over 300 languages are spoken in Greater London.
- One third of Londoners belong to an ethnic minority community.
- London has a younger population than the rest of the UK: 41% of Londoners are aged 20-44. About 25% of London's population is over the age of 65.
- 1 in 6 of Britain's workforce works in London.
- 3 of the 5 most deprived boroughs in England are in London.
- 25% of all unemployed people in Britain live in London.
- Nearly 700,000 people, almost 20% of London's workforce, are employed in the cultural and creative sectors.
- 49 million people visit London's attractions every year and nearly half of these are overseas visitors.
- £25-29 billion is generated annually by the cultural and creative industries in London - a third of the total UK revenues from the sector.
- 6 of the top ten tourist attractions charging admission in England are in London.
Sources: These facts have been compiled from the following sources: Culture & the City - Ten ways to make a difference. A proposal to the Mayor and the London Assembly from the Cultural Strategy Partnership for London on behalf of London's cultural communities; Indices of Multiple Deprivation 2000, Department of Environment, Transport and the regions, Office of National Statistics, British Tourist Authority; Greater London Authority; Learning and Skills Development Agency. Museum Policy.